2011 Week 5 Postmortem

Week 5 was a slower week when compared to Week 4 and, honestly, I think that’s because I decided to cut back on my caffeine nearly completely. I was shooting for going cold turkey and after two days of being a miserable, head ache-suffering zombie my wife suggested I maybe allow myself one soda or coffee in the morning and that made things a bit more tolerable. I think I was also suffering a little bit from work/life balance. With Michelle being pregnant I’ve had to pick up a lot of the slack and I’ll admit that I’ve been fraying a little at the edges but she has really tried to give me some time to relax lately (yesterday was wonderful).

I completed approximately 11,400 words for an average of 1,629 words a day. 2,300 of those were on my week- and month-long wrap up posts here and the rest was entirely on Burning Wick. Sunday and Monday I wrote about 5,800 words which brought my monthly total of January to 49,600 words for the month (which is really excellent when you consider I didn’t write every day). Over-all I’m not thrilled about this past week; I would’ve liked to have seen more blog posts and some more fiction but for most of the week my brain was in a fog and getting the creative juices flowing was really, really difficult.

I also did the red pen edits on “Round and Round” and “Nature/Nurture” as well as some minor rewrites. Without having L around to look at these things I’m a little nervous about them; it’s kind of frightening to be editor-less, like I’ve had the training wheels taken off and I’m about to go ride in traffic for the first time without them. I’ll be the first to admit that my grammar and punctuation skills suck and having her around has been a godsend, my stories are a LOT better after she’s had a few whacks at them. Still, stories need to be submitted and the end of the month is looming large so I’ll need to forge on ahead.

Yesterday was a decent day though I didn’t get done as much as I wanted to. Sixteen hundred words on BW and I incorporated all of the edits into the two shorts I mentioned above, as well as doing some minor rewrites. This week’s plan is to work more on BW, finish my short story “Wage Slave”, edit “One Shot” and maybe try working on “Son of All Monsters” toward the end of the week.

Total First Draft Words for 2011: 55,200
Burning Wick: 49,292
BW: 40,860
OS v1: 8,330 (Complete)
R&R: 5,896 (Complete, first round of edits done)
N/N: 4,203 (Complete, first round of edits done)
P/E: 700
SoAM: 1,139 (crap, it’s all crap)
Wage Slaves: 5,123

Advertisements
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s