Week 11 Postmortem – Or, as I like to call it, “WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT?”




Abusing the ellipses apparently, but, beyond that, if I may be a little base in my speech for a moment, holy shit.

Word count for last week was 16,250 with 1,750 of that coming from the blog here. The rest? All fiction, spread mostly on the side of Burning Wick but also many thousands of words on “Toll Booth”. This boils down to about 2,321 words a day, by far the most productive week in the year. What makes this even more awesome is the fact that I managed to accomplish that many words last week without doing any writing on Monday or, effectively, any writing on Thursday (did four hundred words on the 17th but I just wasn’t feeling it).

I’m not really sure what happened other than that I finally found my idea for TB and hit a couple of sections of BW that just took off under me, helped me get into The Flow. This past weekend was also a big mental health palate-cleanser, a let’s-take-care-of-Matt-because-he’s-a-little-crispy-around-the-edges-and-we-don’t-need-him-cracking-before-the-boy-is-born-so-go-relax couple of days. Convinced the boss to give me Friday off and Michelle pretty much left me alone Friday and Saturday to just write, fall down various Internet rabbit holes, or play video games as the will took me and I ended up being fantastically productive.

Writing is coming along now but, I have to admit, Burning Wick will not be done by the time Connor is born. I’m about 2/3rds done now at 86k and I don’t want to rush the last 1/3rd. I’m still going to be cranking out 1k-2k a night on it, and will do what I can after he’s born, but, yeah, there were too many nights in February where I didn’t write, and the sickness a few weeks ago, to be able to finish it. Depending on when he arrives it may crest 100k but I’m looking at ~120k as the final word count, pre-edits and rewrites of course.

Things to do this week: Finish “Toll Booth” tonight, send TB to editrix, get started on as-yet-untitled Dark Urban Fantasy, write Burning Wick, potentially finish Dark Urban Fantasy, edit DUF, start on pirate short story.

Approximate Total First Draft Words for 2011: 121070
BW: 87,017
OS v1: 8,330 (Complete, edited and submitted, 7,894)
R&R: 6,260 (Complete, first round of edits done, 5,896)
N/N: 4,150 (Complete, first round of edits done, 4,203)
P/E: 700
SoAMv1: 1,139 (crap, it’s all crap)
SOAMv2: 7,355 (Complete)
TB: 8,678

WS: 6,926 (trunked)

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s